Easily make incredible Greek yogurt in your instant pot. For a thinner, but still creamy yogurt, adjust how much whey you drain to each the consistency you like.
1. Add 1 gallon cow’s milk to Instant Pot
2. Lock lid and press Yogurt and then adjust. “Boil” will display on the screen. It takes a little over an hour to boil. Once it is complete, the IP will beep and display “yogt”
3. You MUST check the temperature after whisking the milk. It must reach 180F. Sometimes this happens after one boil cycle but sometimes you have to repeat the boil cycle. Keep repeating until it reaches 180F.
4. Once 180F is reached, remove the inner pot to allow the milk to cool to just below 120F but not below 105F. This takes me a little over an hour and 15 minutes. Continue whisking and checking the temperature.
5. Once it dips just below 120F, whisk in 2 tbsp of plain yogurt. As long as live active cultures are listed on the ingredients, you can use any plain yogurt. Save some of your homemade yogurt to be used as future yogurt starter.
6. Whisk in your plain yogurt then add the inner pot back inside your IP.
7. Press Yogurt button, then adjust button TWICE. Then press the “+” button until it gets to 10:00. *Using a little less yogurt starter and incubating the yogurt for a couple more hours yields a delicious mild yogurt that isn’t too sour or tarte.
8. Don’t stress too much now. Go about your day or get some sleep. The IP will keep your yogurt warm until you wake up to put the yogurt in the fridge. My yogurt sat for 3 hours at the “yogt” setting.
9. Line a strainer (mine is from Dollar Tree!) With some coffee filters then place it on top of a large bowl that will serve as the collector of the whey as you strain your yogurt.
10. Dump your yogurt into the strainer and let it strain for 24 hours in the fridge. For extra creamy texture, stir the yogurt until very smooth BEFORE you add it to the strainer.
11. Check on your collection bowl to drain the whey as it collects.
12. Transfer yogurt to at least a 6 cup capacity bowl and the stir and sweeten to your liking. Voila! $2 for 6 cups of super thick Greek yogurt!